Thursday, February 2
Busy Busy Busy
It has been entirely too long since I've posted. But man has my life been busy. With work this begins our early busy season which extends to the beggining of summer. Then late fall is our busiest part. Anyway, with that and my returning to the YMCA with my son for a full time exercise regime (again) has really taken the wind out of my sails. (ie. I am one tired puppy come evening). And sitting on my butt for 11 hours(at work staring at my monitor) can get you out of shape pretty fast. So then busting my butt for another hour(at the gym 6 days a week) becomes even tougher when you have to start over after taking time off.
So like I've said, I've been busy. But I have had some time to game with my friends. We did get to play the 1st mission of Descent:Journeys in the Dark. Which took an incredibly long time, but we did start to get the mechanics down and I feel after another session or 2 we will be getting through the scenarios within the target 2 hour mark. You know, after playing this game I realise that it is much more of a tactical combat game than it is a dungeon exploration game. But with that in mind I find myself liking the game quite a bit. I see potential for growth (but hopefully withouut adding to the play time. That is its biggest downside). Looking forward to the expansion this summer.
Oh, something else we've been playing (infrequently) is Colossal Area(another FFG game but this one is by Reiner Knizia). Which is basically a horse race betting mechanic disguised as a Giant Monster Arena battle card game. But I love the theme(it's why I bought it) And I love the subtle control and tactics this game provides, though I would not admit to having any real handle on good play. But it's a fairly quick game with three or more people. We did try it 2x with 5 players and wow did that change the betting dynamics alot. Anyway, a nice filler game if anyone is in the market for such.
I'm hoping to squeeze in my first game of Carcasonne(I know, I know shame on me) this weekend before the Super Bowl. Woo hoo Go Steelers! And possibly working on fleshing out some ideas for the SerenityRPG I just picked up. BTW:This will mark the first return to RPG'ing (for me) since I was in my early 20's. Which was about a decade ago...sadly.
I've got a few board games on the "to buy" list this month:
Colossal Arena(Birthday gift for a cousin), Pizza Box Football + Expansion(wish I would have picked this up sooner with the SuperBowl and all), Burning Drachens(2nd expansion for the Wings of War game) & Railroad Tycoon(I've been hearing too much good stuff about this one).
I've got some ideas in the works for trying to spread the word about BoardGaming to people in my area. And believe me this may be an impossibility... I live in a >>>small<<<>
No comments:
Post a Comment